Thursday, September 26, 2013

24 Hour Fitness Sandy

24 Hour Fitness Sandy
10365 S. 1300 E.
Sandy, Utah 84094
801-619-0700
www.24hourfitness.com
Club type: Sport
Overall feel of the gym:
The staff welcomes you and sometimes remembers your name (bonus).  It's clean, big, and well maintained.  There are plenty of workout options here, you name it, they likely have it at this location.   No Richard Simmons "Sweatin to the Oldies" though, darn it.  The vibe is mellow, there isn't a "hipster" or "geriatric" crowd; just a mix of people trying to get their sweat on.  Doesn't seem to me like anyone is trying to "outfit" any of the other fat burners around.

Weight area-
The selection is great for muscle seeking persons, but it is squeezed tightly together.  The gym is big enough but there is a bit of wasted space.  The corners have some of the best equipment, so you get an awful lot of bodies jammed in a tight area.  That's a bunch of people trying to get bigger, in a spot that inevitably won't.  Nonetheless, they have full sets of free weights, dumbbells, plates, benches, universal machines, and an abdominal area.

Cardio Fitness Machines-
An area formed out of total necessity, a place to go when you have missed all the good group fitness classes.  There are Precor machines (treadmills, elliptical),  StairMasters, the rowing machine, and arm cycles.  There only about 8 treadmills and I have been c.o.l. (crap outta luck) a couple times, but you can always jump on one of the other fat jigglers instead.  Take heed: this happened to me a month or so ago.  Just because nobody is on the treadmill DOES NOT mean that it's not moving. In the middle of my workout, I staked out the only open treadmill and zoned in on it. I had my headphones on, just about to take a drink out of my Nalgene, and step on the treadmill for a high incline walk. Low and behold, it was speeding at 10 mph (all out sprint speed). I can only picture what the scene looked like. I screamed, threw my full water bottle, and ipod, stumbled around, then when my butt hit the tread, I flew backward and hit the mirrored wall behind me. Seriously, I have going to the gym for nearly 20 years. Never have I been so embarrassed, but not enough to not share my story on FB and blog. Torn up knees and hands, but only my pride was seriously injured. 

Group fitness Room-
Zumba hopefuls and kick boxers alike enter and exit this room.  Typical; wood floor, mirror, but big and clean.  They have a full load of classes. Some of my favorites are Body Pump, Zumba, & Kickboxing.  You can check the website for the full list.  The instructors are knowledgeable, and good.  I know cause I have suffered through many a Jazzercise class with an instructor who couldn't find the beat at a drum circle, let alone lead an entire class.

Cycle Room-
Good enough size.  The bikes aren't my favorite.  There isn't a spot for a big "nalgene" bottle, only the real deal ex Lance Armstrong cycle type water bottles.  I don't like those cause you can't get enough ice inside to keep it nice and chilly.  Enough about water bottles though.  The bikes are a big part of the experience and unfortunately they are older and not super smooth.  The instruction you will get is great, and most of the music has been decent too (except one who picked Elton John and the entire hour was dedicated to him).  Crocodile Rock isn't cool more than once an hour, or month for that matter.
Pool, Sauna, Steam Room, and Hot Tub-
Pool has 4 lanes, and is a good temperature.  They also offer swim lessons for the aquatically challenged.  Hot tub is older and needs a new resurfacing job, but the temp soothes the muscles and helps to relax the body.  Same goes for the steam room, seriously needs new tile, but seems clean.  Sauna is hot.

Kids Club-
Open M-Th 8am-2pm then again 4pm-8pm.  Friday 8am-2pm then 4-7pm.    This one in particular is super huge; like I can't find my kids half the time huge.  Full of fun stuff for the littles to do while we go beat ourselves up.

Basketball Court-
It's there, and there are some hoops in it.  I honestly haven't stepped a foot in.  Sorry.

Stretch Area-
It should be bigger for the size of the club.  It's sandwiched between the front desk area and the personal trainer desks.  There are plenty of mats, bosu balls, foam rollers,  but you'll have to stretch bum to bum cause of the close proximity to your fitness neighbor.  Seriously though, it's fine.

Prices-

  • Keep Fit All-Club Sport Monthly Payment
    Initiation Fee
    $0.00
    Amount Due Today
    $79.04
    $76.40
    Ongoing Monthly Dues
    $36.99
  • Keep Fit All-Club Sport LOYALTY REWARD Monthly Payment
    Initiation Fee
    $49.99
    Amount Due Today
    $117.49
    $115.35
    Ongoing Monthly Dues
    $29.99
    (after 09/27/14: $26.99/mo)
  • Keep Fit All-Club Sport LOYALTY  PREMIUM Monthly Payment
    Membership Details                                           
    Initiation Fee
    $99.99
    $49.99
    Amount Due Today
    $164.52
    $109.17
    Ongoing Monthly Dues
    $26.99
    (after 09/27/14: $21.99/mo)


                       






Dun, dun, dun.  I actually have
been a member here for over 3 years so they are increased but I pay $25/monthly, my spouse contributes to the wealth of the company by just paying but never actually using the facilities.  Some day honey.  Costco also sells them now for $369 for a 2 year Sport Club membership.  Do the math on that one. Kids Club I pay $10/1st kid, $5 next kid after.  So total for 2 kids is $15 per month and I can use it up to 2 hours a day (are you sure you can't watch them while I hit the grocery store)?

Pros:
Multiple club locations, good pricing, everything you need to be fit.  Good kids club. Great group fitness classes.
Cons:
Just the basics; no towel service, no fancy locker rooms, not a place to come and enjoy the entire afternoon with the family. Slightly outdated pool area.

Lifetime fitness review tomorrow.  Have a good workout.










No comments:

Post a Comment